Re: [LUG] OT: Advice for Windows XP Users

On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 04:13:25PM +0000, Simon Avery wrote:
> What about ATMs and Embedded devices running XP? (One would hope the former
> would be isolated from the internet, but we all know that's not the only
> vector).

At least some of them run Windows XP Embedded which is more secure, and
which will continue to receive updates for some time. But according to
someone who has been studying ATM malware (which is a pretty scary idea
in itself) many run plain XP.

> Surprised more AV companies haven't promoted covering more aspects of
> protecting above patches in XP.

I think all AV products will continue to receive updates on XP.
Including, after some persuasion, Microsoft's own Security Essentials.
Just about any AV vendor has released advice on how to secure your XP
machine after 8 April.

Martijn.