Re: [LUG] IMAP on Synology DS212j / Correct DNS Servers for same

On 29/03/14 10:23, Martijn Grooten wrote:
On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 11:22:12PM +0000, Julian Hall wrote:
What does /not/ work is the NAS being able to connect to the
Internet to download or update any packages and I'm 90% certain it's
a DNS problem as I had it previously when I had accidentally put the
wrong DNS settings in.
Well, you can always check by trying to connect to an IP address, such
as 173.194.34.160 (one of Google's IP addresses). If that works it's a
DNS issue, if it doesn't, could you run traceroute to that same IP
address?
Not from the NAS unfortunately, at least not that I know of...
  The current network setup is:

Router:

Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DHCP range 192.168.0.2/20
0.2-0.6 are assigned to specific MAC addresses.

NAS:
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Prim DNS: 194.168.4.100
Sec DNS:   194.168.8.100
That seems fine to me. If you think it might be an issue with these
particular DNS servers, you can always use Google's DNS servers to check
(8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8).

However, are they the correct
DNS settings for the NAS as it now has the router sat between it and
the modem?
I don't see why that should make a difference, as long as the NAS can
reach those servers it sould be fine.

Martijn.
Thanks for the advice Martijn. I tried Google's DNS servers and fetching new packages still hangs without connecting, so it seems the NAS sees the network (obviously or it wouldn't work at all) but can't see the Internet.