Re: [LUG] linux child protection

On 28/03/14 21:45, Kevin Peat wrote:
On 28 March 2014 17:03:15 GMT, Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 28 Mar 2014, Tom wrote:

As my daughters age the missuses requests for some kind of blocking increases. Any recommendations - pcs and android devices!
How about education and no unsupervised internet access? Gordon

You are spot on re. education but any filtering/supervision is just doomed to failure just like Cameron's firewall. I used NetNanny [on Windows] with our kids 10 years ago just to limit PC time, but in the age of families having multiple PC's, tablets and phones [as have their friends] you have no chance of stopping them doing whatever they want.

Amusing tale about Net Nanny... <pauldaniels> You'll like this.. not a lot, but you'll like it </pauldaniels>

I used to work for an ISP who gave out free copies of Net Nanny to customers.  However when customers started installing it we had some odd problems.  They couldn't get their email, access their own websites, and our website, the browser default wouldn't load.  It took a while as all other Internet access was perfectly fine, but the penny dropped when we realised all the affected customers had installed Net Nanny.  The ISP's name was one of the banned words in Net Nanny, so once you installed it you could forget any hope of accessing servers on our network *head->desk*  I haven't named the ISP to spare the blushes of the astonishingly stupid, but if you think of all the UK ISPs I'm sure you can think of one whose name may fall foul of an over-eager parental access control software.

Julian