Re: [LUG] linux child protection

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014 20:50:12 +0000
Daniel Robinson <manipula@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Daniel,

>They don't care about kids watching porn! They're more interested in

Of course they don't - it's simply a matter of "how can we control this
thing?"  But trying to do the credit card thing looks good to Daily Mail
readers and their ilk.

Anyhow, I was merely reporting what I heard in the news today.  My
thoughts of its worth are in accord with yours by the sound of things, I
simply didn't report them here.

>responsible for securing it, and if that means stopping your teens
>using stickam and such then do so.

I couldn't agree more.  Whilst there is often room for debate in my
household, it is not a democracy.  Ultimately, my wife and I are in
control.  If the kids don't toe the line, they're in trouble.

>I wouldn't give it a second thought if it were my kids.

I grant my two a fair degree of latitude.  For the most part, it works
well.  Occasionally, one of them falls foul, and they get punished for
it.  They rarely make the same mistake a second time.

There's no wireless access at home and no network access in their rooms,
so they can't be doing anything without it being seen by somebody else.
I have network access to all the machines here(1), and can easily
monitor their online activity.  Particularly, their browser history.
Currently, both kids are angling for an ipod touch each.  No idea why;
They won't have enough money to make any use of it except as an audio
and video player.

(1) so do they, but they don't know that.   :-)

--
 Regards  _
A friend of a friend he got beaten