Re: [LUG] linux child protection

On 28/03/14 15:48, Simon Avery wrote:
I don't have anything other than Dansguardian to suggest, which is proxy protection rather than on-device. (And could be argued as better because of that as it can be remotely, but also locally, installed).

I'm guessing this question was prompted by the frankly ridiculous claims made in the media today about enforcing age restrictions on all pornsites everywhere? The woman on Radio4 making this case this morning came across as a complete idiot and I'm amazed it wasn't questioned deeper. It's a pretty weak argument and the technical, jurisdiction and legal problems legion.

But... if there is one good thing to come out of this, it's awareness. Some of the parents interviewed showed some staggering ignorance of basic technology, let alone "geeky stuff". I was shocked that such people can manage to put their socks on in the morning, frankly.

I was also amused by the statement "Of course, porn is not illegal" from the presenter and campaigner. What, *all* porn?

All in all, a typical poorly researched and kneejerk chunk of hysteria, but if it is causing parents to assess what little Tommy actually uses his computer/touchpad/phone for, then jolly good - they *are* the ones who are most responsible for monitoring that, after all.

(Thank you for allowing me to hijack and rant...)
The 'staggering ignorance' frankly comes as no surprise. What constantly irritates the living hell out of me is know-nothing politicians who think they can legislate their way out of a technical problem and con the public into voting for them thinking they've 'done something' about the problem. This so-called pornography filter for example;

a) Only blocks the web and does nothing for Usenet, file-sharing, VPNs, FTP etc etc. b) Has been proven in multiple instances to block innocent sites such as churches and game updates.. one simply because it included the letters s, e and x in sequence(!) Why it couldn't do something worthwhile and block 'The Only Way Is Essex' is a mystery... :)
c) Has been proven to let through sites it should be blocking.
d) Is pointless because the kids it's supposed to protect know more than the parents about how to get around it, proxies etc.

The politicians then sit back on their vote winning legislation having assured the parents 'Don't worry your little head we've covered it', and allow the parents to carry on blissfully ignorant of the fact the politicians have done no such thing.

Anyway, I'm also sorry to hijack the thread :)

Julian