Re: [LUG] linux child protection

I don't have anything other than Dansguardian to suggest, which is proxy protection rather than on-device. (And could be argued as better because of that as it can be remotely, but also locally, installed).

I'm guessing this question was prompted by the frankly ridiculous claims made in the media today about enforcing age restrictions on all pornsites everywhere? The woman on Radio4 making this case this morning came across as a complete idiot and I'm amazed it wasn't questioned deeper. It's a pretty weak argument and the technical, jurisdiction and legal problems legion.

But... if there is one good thing to come out of this, it's awareness. Some of the parents interviewed showed some staggering ignorance of basic technology, let alone "geeky stuff". I was shocked that such people can manage to put their socks on in the morning, frankly.

I was also amused by the statement "Of course, porn is not illegal" from the presenter and campaigner. What, *all* porn?

All in all, a typical poorly researched and kneejerk chunk of hysteria, but if it is causing parents to assess what little Tommy actually uses his computer/touchpad/phone for, then jolly good - they *are* the ones who are most responsible for monitoring that, after all.

(Thank you for allowing me to hijack and rant...)