Re: [LUG] linux child protection

Do you mean that you don't trust your ISP's porn filter that the government pushed
on us? :oD

I swear by DNS filtering.

Set it up once (i.e. in the router) and all your devices are "protected"
immediately. This means everything in the house - including visitors. (Unless they
hard-code another DNS server)

If you've got a (old?) BT router I believe you can't change the DNS settings - so
this might be a dead end for you.

Presuming that you've got a better router....

I personally use OpenDNS (http://www.opendns.com/) at home, and for "Grandma's
house" and as many other places that I can install it.

You can just prevent "really bad" places, by changing your router to use their DNS
servers without doing anything else.

But really, you will need to setup an account where you tick a box for each category
(games, gambling, porn, etc) - note that "Gambling" also includes the National
Lottery results, so Grandma was not impressed during the first week's implementation
:o)

Your preferences are kept in step with your IP address, so if your router doesn't
have OpenDNS built in for dynamic IP updates, then there is a small util that runs
on Linux which can ensure that the two synchronise. Note: also check the options in
your router, I think (not sure) that Draytek don't actually have OpenDNS listed, but
one of the others worked... hazy memory there...

There isn't an IP updater for Android, but I'm guessing you've probably got a PC /
laptop lying around which can do the updates when your IP (irregularly) changes - if
that PC / laptop even misses a day's change then DNS will still work, it's just that
your preferences won't be applied that day (and quite possibly) you could inherit
someone else's preferences (although I've never seen this happen)

And that's it. Never had a problem with it.

OpenDNS will "hijack" any dead-end (404) sites, so your users might see an OpenDNS
page now & again - this is also customisable in your account, so it can be made a
little friendlier. I put my photo on mine (so Grandma and the kids know it's "real")
with a note saying something like "that website's broken at the moment".

There are other DNS providers with similar roles, some are more supported by routers
for example. But it's at least a good place to start.

In addition, I'm repurposing an old Thin Client to be a pfSense firewall - this has
better support to block "bad places" (SquidGuard), which is controllable by me at a
much finer granularity than OpenDNS (i.e. blocking adverts - which is great for
those with low bandwidth...).

But that's a little more involved.

I used to use a Firefox addon... I still use Ad Block Plus / NoScript / Ghostery
etc, but I think there was something which worked well.

The only thing I would add, is a little end-user education so that they're aware
that you're blocking "bad stuff". I have these conversations with my daughter /
niece / nephew sometimes - usually when I'm blocking something which they believe to
be an amazing website full of games... and if it's blocked by OpenDNS, I check it
out thoroughly