Re: [LUG] Fed up of BT Broadband in Minions

On Tue, 25 Mar 2014, Kevin Lucas wrote:

Hi all
Being the Sub Postmaster in Minions I get a lot of Village residents
complaining ( I don't know why to me apart from I just happen to there
to listen!),

Because the "Post Office" offer a phone and broadband service, therefore you implicitly must know... ;-)

about the very poor service we get from BT Openreach
regarding the quality of the Connection to the exchange, we as a village
get 2.5 megs max with many failing to reach 1 Meg on a steady basis.

So I thought with the Caradon transmitter being just up the hill why
cant we use 3G?
With my HTC stuck out the Loft window I get up to 14megs on EE ( orange)
Direct line of sight with the Transmitter, but inside the house its
flaky and just about the same as ADSL.

does anyone have experience of  a good sim router and does a 3G Ariel
make much difference? I have looked at something like this
http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=15278 poss
with the Ariel from the bottom of the page, as an installed solution in
the  house but before I tell BT where to put their Crapband what do you
think of the long term viability of such a system.

Currently we all in Minions pay about Â30 / month  for a phone
Connection with Broadband. Most only have a land line because we think
we need ADSL.
Also the nearest "Green Box" to us is in Upton Cross and this does have
the Fibre cable in it but I feel the cost of bringing it to Minions is
making its appearance here a very long way off.

You're on off Cabinet 1 off the Rilla Mill exchange. This cab has fiber to it, but you're still beyond a sensible range to really benefit - estimated 4.4Mb/sec on a good day with no major jointing between you & the cabinet.

It's unlikely (but not unheard of) that BT will put a new cabinet in your village, or nearby.

That 3G modem device you've linked to looks like the business - but do get good quality cable and an external antennae to make it work better.

If you know exactly where the base station is, and have line of sight to it, then the yagi is the best bet - until they turn it off and rely on another one nearby, then you'll get nothing.

Good luck!

Gordon