Re: [LUG] Fed up of BT Broadband in Minions

On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 19:08:27 +0000, Kevin Lucas
<kevin.lucas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all
> Being the Sub Postmaster in Minions I get a lot of Village residents
> complaining ( I don't know why to me apart from I just happen to there
> to listen!), about the very poor service we get from BT Openreach
> regarding the quality of the Connection to the exchange, we as a village
> get 2.5 megs max with many failing to reach 1 Meg on a steady basis.

I did an exchange search on your postcode, looks like FTTC is available in
some areas, but I guess that probably doesn't mean much if your cabinet
isn't enabled (or you're miles away).

> So I thought with the Caradon transmitter being just up the hill why
> cant we use 3G?
> With my HTC stuck out the Loft window I get up to 14megs on EE ( orange)
> Direct line of sight with the Transmitter, but inside the house its
> flaky and just about the same as ADSL.

Sounds like what I get at one of our work sites, around the site I get no
signal, out in a field I get 10Mbit/sec on Three :-)

> does anyone have experience of  a good sim router and does a 3G Ariel
> make much difference? I have looked at something like this
> http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=15278 poss
> with the Ariel from the bottom of the page, as an installed solution in
> the  house but before I tell BT where to put their Crapband what do you
> think of the long term viability of such a system.

While I don't personally have experience of this, you might also want to
consider something like a Raspberry Pi with a USB 3G modem, or a Mifi
device (takes a SIM, runs on 3G/HSDPA and spits out wifi).

> Currently we all in Minions pay about Â30 / month  for a phone
> Connection with Broadband. Most only have a land line because we think
> we need ADSL.
> Also the nearest "Green Box" to us is in Upton Cross and this does have
> the Fibre cable in it but I feel the cost of bringing it to Minions is
> making its appearance here a very long way off.

Crazy idea but could a load of residents get together and try and register
their interest with some of the other providers out there? (I'm thinking
maybe Gigaclear for instance who have been doing Rural Oxfordshire, saying
that they're based out there so maybe that's why they're covering those
areas).

Rob