Re: [LUG] Transparent proxy

On 03/03/14 17:18, Anthony Williams wrote:
> On 03/03/14 16:44, bad apple wrote:
>> On 03/03/14 09:49, Anthony Williams wrote:
>> Well, you haven't said how much traffic or of what type you wish to
>> proxy through Box C but the answer is still in this case OpenBSD with
>> PF, although Linux + iptables can definitely also do the job, just not
>> as elegantly or securely.
>
> TCP and UDP packets for a system-specific client-server protocol. Not
> particularly large quantities as one of the ppp connections is a
> telephone dial-up.
>
> What's PF? I have no experience with OpenBSD at all, whereas I use linux
> all the time, and can configure straightforward iptables setups.
>
>> But having both lines as ppp and those two awkward sequential IPs are
>> going to cause whatever solution to be non-trivial as it stands.
>
> Yes. That's why I'm asking here ;-)
>
> If it was a straightforward solution I could do it myself.
>
>> Changing at least one of the machine A or B's network configuration
>> would be very helpful. This is like all those fun times when I go to
>> drop a VPN in between a couple of sites and find out - surprise! - that
>> of course all the LANs are 192.168.0.0/24.
>
> Yes, changing the network config at one end would make things much simpler.
>
> Anthony

I thought about this a bit longer, because I'm sure I've had to do this
exact thing before at some point... but it would have been a *long* time
ago. BCP bridging is what you need, so make life easy for yourself and
make sure that Box C is cheap second hand Cisco router that supports it.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/bridging/configuration/guide/15-s/br-15-s-book/br_bcp.html

You'll have to grapple with IOS (the proper one, not the Apple one) a
bit which can be a bit of a headache but it's going to be far easier and
way more reliable than anything you have to hack together.

Some googling about seems to indicate that BCP PPP bridging *may* be
possible on a slightly more DIY basis with flashed commodity routers
like the good old WRTG5* running Tomato or DD-WRT or whatever.

*All* of the extant information about BCP bridging seems pretty out of
date though, I guess very few people are needing to do what you're trying :]

Regards