[LUG] Transparent proxy

Hi,

I'm having some difficulty setting up a network configuration for a client.

They're changing their network configuration for a remote dial-in
system. Currently, box A dials in to Box B using PPP. However, Box B is
moving to a new location, so they want me to insert a Box C in the middle.

Box A should think it is dialing in to Box B, so the local and remote IP
addresses should remain the same. Similarly, Box B should think that Box
A is connected directly, so again the local and remote set up should be
the same. We don't want to change the config on Box A or Box B.

Current:

Box A. 10.8.0.2 <-> Box B 10.8.0.1

Desired:

Box A. 10.8.0.2 <-> Box C <-> Box B 10.8.0.1

Box A needs to think the other side of the ppp link is 10.8.0.1, Box B
needs to think the other side is 10.8.0.2

I've tried to set up ppp0 to box A with IP 10.8.0.1 and ppp1 to Box B
with IP 10.8.0.2, but then box C won't route anything anywhere, since
all the IP addresses are local.

Is there a way to set up such a system with iptables, or anything else?
Surely I can't be the only one who's needed such a system?

The sole purpose of box C is to provide this link, so it can be
configured in any way necessary.

Cheers,

Anthony
--