Re: [LUG] Automated to dvd to hdd imaging

On 18/02/14 19:39, Rob Beard wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 12:12:33 +0000, "Tremayne, Steve"
> <steven.tremayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Graham,
>>
>>   When you say "automatically", what are you after exactly? I'm not
> aware
>>   of any restoration media which just starts installing software over
> the
>>   top of a hard-drive without some kind of interaction :o)
>>
>>   FYI - Apparently a .TBI file is from this crowd:
>>   http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-windows.htm
>>
>>   Is this for disaster recovery, or OS rollout? I'd be careful with a
> Win7
>>   rollout via cloning, unless you're ok with changing the SIDs, etc.
>>
>>   First pass at an answer... clonezilla?
>>
>> Pros:
>> Works. Can even do a network cloning of 1:many in parallel (swamps the
>> network though!)
>>
>> Cons:
>> Needs a good understanding of what you're doing.
>>
>> Steve
>>
> I'd also recommend Clonezilla, I use it at work and have it PXE boot from
> the network (although I tend not to automate it).  If I understand
> correctly it can be burnt onto a CD/DVD/Bluray or put on a USB stick with
> an image and be configured to automatically write an image on boot.
>
> Other one to consider is SystemRescueCD.
>
> Rob

I can second the use of Clonezilla. I've used it to clone many a failing
disk via device to device cloning. eg. 35min for 250GB using a USB3.0
external dock, take out the failing HDD, put in the clone and boot.
Using device to device require that the destination disk is the same
size or greater than source (naturally). It's a bit more complicated
cloning a server but not much. Here google is your friend(?).

I haven't read this thread but if it's about backing up there are better
tools.

Keith