Re: [LUG] Automated to dvd to hdd imaging

On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 12:12:33 +0000, "Tremayne, Steve"
<steven.tremayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Graham,
>
>   When you say "automatically", what are you after exactly? I'm not
aware
>   of any restoration media which just starts installing software over
the
>   top of a hard-drive without some kind of interaction :o)
>
>   FYI - Apparently a .TBI file is from this crowd:
>   http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-windows.htm
>
>   Is this for disaster recovery, or OS rollout? I'd be careful with a
Win7
>   rollout via cloning, unless you're ok with changing the SIDs, etc.
>
>   First pass at an answer... clonezilla?
>
> Pros:
> Works. Can even do a network cloning of 1:many in parallel (swamps the
> network though!)
>
> Cons:
> Needs a good understanding of what you're doing.
>
> Steve

I'd also recommend Clonezilla, I use it at work and have it PXE boot from
the network (although I tend not to automate it).  If I understand
correctly it can be burnt onto a CD/DVD/Bluray or put on a USB stick with
an image and be configured to automatically write an image on boot.

Other one to consider is SystemRescueCD.

Rob