[LUG] Damn it Debian

I'm beginning to think that the future is dark for my favourite
operating system...

http://www.muktware.com/2014/02/debian-technical-committee-votes-systemd-upstart/20780

There have been some increasingly bizarre decisions made by the top
brass of late and switching to systemd for an init system is just a step
too far for me, although I expect alternative systems will at least be
supported for a while. Just probably not very well. This on top of the
infuriating ffmpeg/libav situation (essentially, following the forking
of ffmpeg to the inferior libav Debian developers aligned with the libav
crowd shoehorned it into the distro regardless of quality where it still
festers now - even worse, it's misleadingly packaged *as* ffmpeg for
'compatibility' reasons) which takes considerable work to fix is
beginning to get old really fast. Obviously, all of this stupidity also
filters downstream to Ubuntu/Mint/etc which I care considerably less
about, but still have to admin and fix regularly.

Politics always ruins things, even Linux distributions apparently, if
given enough time.

Regards