Re: [LUG] [OT] Simple peer-to-peer web censorship avoidance

On 9 February 2014 23:13, bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I run multiple Tor exit nodes (although not at home, purely because of
bandwidth constraints on my cable connection).

As a tor user myself, I thank you.

A couple of years back a client who was letting me use some spare
server/bandwidth capacity to run an exit node was actually contacted by
the police as "something bad" (they never said exactly what it was,
obviously) apparently resolved to our Tor box's IP. We pretty much
briefly explained what Tor was, pointed them at the wikipedia article
and that was that. They never even got back to us and that particular
relay is still up and running.

Interesting. But if every knock on the door was like that, nobody would ever get their computer seized. The chance to explane sometimes come later - much later. Meanwhile your computer, any personal or business material you had, including backups stored on the premises or where plod could find them - gone. Akin to a discussion we had here some time ago about putting your business in the hands of a random cloud provider.

In some cases you are right. May even be most cases, I don't have the data. But if it was always that simple, all anyone would have to do would be to wave a wiki article under copper's nose when they come knocking and they'd go away.