Re: [LUG] [OT] Simple peer-to-peer web censorship avoidance

On Sun, Feb 09, 2014 at 11:22:11PM +0000, Simon Avery wrote:
> > I run multiple Tor exit nodes (although not at home, purely because of
> > bandwidth constraints on my cable connection).
>
> As a tor user myself, I thank you.

+1

Tor recommends not running exit nodes from home anyway. And they say you
should inform your ISP(s) that you're running an exit node. I believe
they also recommend you inform the police.

> But if it was always that simple, all anyone would have to do would be to
> wave a wiki article under copper's nose when they come knocking and they'd
> go away.

I would hope that if you are seriously suspected of having committed
some kind of illegal activity through your Internet connection, that
poinging the police to a Wikipedia article wouldn't be sufficient.

In the particular case of Tor, it is relatively easy to determine if a
certain IP address was an exit node at a given moment. So "I was running
a Tor exit node" isn't a valid defense - unless you were indeed running
an exit node.

Martijn.