[LUG] Error message in Ubunto

Can you help me again?
I have a error Icon appeared at the top of my page it is like a No Entry sign. As it said something about the Synaptic Package Manager I tried this and it comes up with this great long Error Message (I hope I can write it all correctly as it will not copy and paste). Can any of you tell me in simple language what to do? It presumably stops me from getting any updates and any new programmes I might want. Does Linux or Ubunto NOT have a repair package or disk (like Microsoft?) :-

Below the error icon (like a red No Entry sign) on the top line to the right:
It says to run the Package Manager (It will not run and gives the below message) or get into a terminal to see what's wrong - how do I see what's wrong???

'Error message was: Error: Opening the cache (then as below …....
…..)'. This usually means that your installed packages have unmet dependencies.

When opening the package manager it will not boot up with any programmes and shows a window with the same 'No Entry' error sign (a red circle with a white bar across the middle). It says:

An error occurred.
The following details are provided:

E: Encountered a section without a no package: header
E: The problem with MergeList/var/lib/apt/list/security.ubunto.co_dists_precise-security_i18_Translation-en
E: The package list or status file could not pursed or opened.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
--
Life, love, peace and freedom

Pete (Le M)