Re: [LUG] Commandeering X

On 24/01/14 19:53, Philip Hudson wrote:

> Bingo. That works. Thanks very much. At last my dream of not starting my
> desktop session at t/he greeter but instead starting it via ssh is
> fulfilled. I can die happy now.
>
> My first thought about the solution is "Why allow only either root,
> console, or anybody?" Why not a group? That seems so obvious that I can't
> believe it wasn't considered and rejected years ago. Anybody know if that's
> the way it went? If so, why?

I've got to admit that's the first thing I thought as well... why can't
I specify a group? "man Xwrapper.config" (dpkg-reconfigure x11-common is
simply writing to file /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config) doesn't really provide
any further information other than that root, console or anybody
*really* are the only options, and other once-allowable edits seem to
have been removed as well - you used to be able to provide a nice value
to the X server from within this file, for instance.

This is one of those cases where I'm just going to shrug my shoulders
and presume that the Debian devs know what they're doing - they don't
usually let me down.

Regards