Re: [LUG] Commandeering X

On 21/01/14 13:51, Philip Hudson wrote:
Yep, I can manage either of those at will. In fact the ssh session I'm connecting with does have X11 forwarding enabled (for other purposes), which is why I'm careful to set DISPLAY explicitly. What I can't seem to do is replace the greeter on the target machine's own local display with my own new desktop session, short of walking over to the machine and typing on its own keyboard to login. I end up doing that, but I don't like being beaten by a problem, however easily worked around.

Perhaps I should explain why X11 forwarding over ssh is not the solution I want: I want specifically to use the target machine's display and speakers for video playback using VLC, for presentation to others under remote control.