Re: [LUG] TomTom Start 60 / MyDriveConnect and Linux.

On 17/01/14 17:32, bad apple wrote:
On 17/01/14 12:29, Julian Hall wrote:
Thanks for the advice.. it's a triple-boot box - Windows XP and 7, Mint
16 - so it's not a /great/ imposition to boot into Windows occasionally
and check it, I just wondered if there were any native Linux suggestions :)
Two things: surely with less than three months of support left, it's
time to ditch that worthless XP install? You've got Win7 and Mint left,
it's time to let that crappy 13 year old OS go at this point...
I have a couple of favoured games that won't play in Windows 7 or WINE. The network card is disabled in the install so it can't go online and be compromised, it's only fro the odd gaming session.
Also, did you know that you can use VirtualBox and most other popular
virtualization tools to directly access the raw partitions of your
on-disk Windows installs from your Linux system? As in, you can run your
'real' Windows install as a VM on Linux.
Yes I actually ran a pre-release Windows 8 in a VM.. hated it so never 'upgraded' to the full thing. As the full install of Windows is already up and running though it would take a lot of setting up to reinstall on a VM so probably best to leave as is.
I'd do your TomTom updates on the Windows side as well, especially as
you have it already available. Trying to make it work on Linux when
you've got Win7 there and ready seems like a bit of an exercise in
masochism...
You're right on that score and that's what I've decided to go with. I was just curious to know if anybody /had/ got it working.

Julian