Re: [LUG] CentOS and it's useful lack of network on boot

On 15/01/14 21:43, Rob Beard wrote:
> unless anyone knows of a Linux alternative to WSUS

God no, I've been there several times and it's not pretty... The whole
edifice of crazy different stuff that makes up the entire Windows Update
framework is insanely complicated and of course highly proprietary, very
difficult to get it to play nice with Linux. It uses WinHTTP/WinINet
protocols which are difficult to filter and cache properly, there are
issues with certificate caching on proxy pass-throughs, it just goes on
and on. We've actually had a couple of serious stabs at trying to cook
up something like WSUS on Linux and threw in the towel every time.

If you're network is sufficiently big to actually need and roll out
WSUS, you've probably got a whole other bunch of Windows servers and
roles going on and likely have access to much better tools and toys,
like System Center, OpenView, Spice, etc. If the 2012r2 interface annoys
you that much why not just get a free download of ClassicShell? That'll
fix it to behave just like Win7 and earlier versions.

Cheers

http://www.classicshell.net/