Re: [LUG] CentOS and it's useful lack of network on boot

On 15/01/2014 21:28, bad apple wrote:
On 15/01/14 21:05, Rob Beard wrote:
Hi folks,

I've come across an interesting and rather frustrating 'feature' or
maybe bug in CentOS and I wondered if anyone else had seen it?

Basically I'm trying to install CentOS 6.5 in a VM on Xen.  It seems to
install via a text install (not a major issue, Debian seems to do okay
with this) and then merrily reboots.

Yeah, that's completely normal behaviour - CentOS is proper server Linux
build, none of that automated stuff you get in a Desktop-oriented
flavour like Ubuntu. Obviously, most CentOS installs don't even have X
installed, let alone crap like NetworkManager and you're quite right in
not liking that bit of software.

But your typical sysadmin installing CentOS or RedHat will be
automatically configuring their instances with templates and custom
scripting typically via Chef or Puppet, etc, and know full they have to
specifically edit and tune /etc files to get things like networking
running. It's completely expected and normal behaviour.

Ahh I see that makes a bit more sense then.  Still a little frustrating :-)

I keep meaning to check out Puppet, we've got a couple (maybe about 4) Linux Mint machines at work which I can manually keep up to date but at the moment it means going to each one and updating them (or remembering to update them via SSH and hoping they're turned on).

Check out this for alternative DNS: http://www.opennicproject.org/

Cool, will do.

Microsoft's Remote Server Admin Tools are indeed infuriating - I also
like the way you can't install all of the different toolsets you need on
the same host system, so you can't have the RSAT for Server2003 coexist
with RSAT Server2008/r2 or Server2012/r2... brilliant. So no centralised
admin workstation for keeping all the Windows RSAT stuff on then.

I read a similar rant the other day about an IT support guy who had a standard Windows 7 desktop (same sort of thing as every other desktop in the company) and was frustrated about having to run Windows 8 in a VM or have another machine just for Windows 8. Seems a bit silly to me, but that's just me I guess, maybe Microsoft think differently.

Powershell is absolutely essential for Windows admin these days and it's
actually pretty damn good but it's just so... verbose. It's definitely
not very intuitive but anything beats the Metro interface on your
*server* for god's sake. You're totally right, what were they thinking...

I've only very briefly looked at Powershell. Our servers are pretty much all Debian based (apart from Xenserver, but we have a reasonably good Windows console for that). I had a bit of a play with Windows Server 2012 R2 for WSUS to provide Windows Updates but got really frustrated with the interface. I guess there is the option to downgrade to Windows Server 2008 R2 but this is an evaluation version just to try it out... unless anyone knows of a Linux alternative to WSUS like we've got Linux alternatives to SMB (Samba) and Exchange (OpenChange)? (I know, getting a bit off topic now).

Rob