Re: [LUG] MAC address on Android

On 14 January 2014 17:58, bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Which is convenient for me :]

Rather confirming my point about the need for dynamic, peer-to-peer, user-transparent networking and the reason highly-skilled and highly-paid netadmin priesthood geeks prefer TCP/IP.

Where you're so, so very wrong is praising Apple for, of all things, the
pile of sh*t that passes for network functionality in their OS.

<snipped bunch of stuff regarding current Mac OS and TCP/IP networking>

No, not OS X, not Core Networking; AppleTalk and OS 5/6/7/8/9 and LaserWriters and Winblows 3.x/9x with the nasty MS protocols turned off, in a pure AppleTalk environment with no alien, invasive, awkward, ill-fitting, unwelcome TCP/IP to mess things up for the normal, natural protocols the network was designed for; you know, *real* networking. (See what I did there?).

Obviously, this was a *long* time ago I'm talking about, when the alternative on the wire was IPX and nobody could even spell "TCP/IP", except a few weirdoes who got their start using Unix on Sun machines like... well, I'll just say me.

But all of that is entirely beside the point.

Dynamic, transparent, peer-to-peer, DNS- and DHCP-serverless, NAT-less, automatically self-configuring and self-federating networking. Everyone who doesn't make their living from selling or supporting networking technologies needs it. Will we get it?

Specifically, I'd be interested to know: how would you characterize whatever caused zeroconf/bonjour/rendezvous/mDNS to show up on your admin radar? Did the issue(s) you encountered imply some kind of fatal conceptual flaw which would require outright rejection of NBP in principle and forever, or was it an implementation detail, or was the problem perhaps more rightly ascribed to some other subsystem that didn't want to have to bother to play nice?

--
Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63