From: list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tom
Sent: 10 January 2014 10:11
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] Chromebook

On 10/01/14 09:50, Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> Referring back to a recent discussion about laptops upgrades etc. As
> you will be aware I bought an HP server which will do the work of
> storing docs, movies, music, photos etc. However, I still need to
> purchase a second laptop at some point and I am wondering what do
> folks think of Chromebooks. I recently read this article:
> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/10/2014_chromebook_surge/>
> I did get me thinking of it as an option. The downside is being tied
> into Google's infrastructure.
>
> Any comments please?
There is no downside - there is a thing called crouton which allows you to boot into
Linux - I have heard you can simply hotkey between the chromeOS and the linux but I
am waiting for the £125 Dell chromebook which comes out in Feb to give it a try It
does look like we are at last getting netbooks!
http://www.howtogeek.com/162120/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-on-your-chromebook-with-crouton/

Tom te tom te tom