Re: [LUG] distribution with good 386 support

On 09/01/14 19:56, Tom wrote:

> Perhaps I should have said 32bit machines. I do have a 50Mhz 486 but
> everything else is still good to go!
> Tom te tom te tom

I'm a serious hoarder, particularly when it comes to computer gear, but
I only keep the interesting/cool/historical machines to hand: the garage
rack has a PA-RISC HP workstation, an IBM RS6000 (Power), a Motorola
68000 powered Apple, some PPC Macs, a couple of Sparc/UltraSparc based
Sun boxes, several MIPS based SGI machines and a whole bunch of other
exotic gear. At one point or another I've owned pretty much every
architecture from VAX to a cell based IBM blade. I still miss my Alpha,
sadly destroyed by morons during a house move across London. Mostly
they're for nostalgia, but I keep them all up-to-date with current
software and they do occasionally get fired up in anger to compile some
exotic software or for increasingly uncommon real-world tests: nearly
all my clients have got rid of their legacy machines at this point. It
used to  be common for shops to have a big mix of iron in service, which
I somewhat miss: now it's all Linux and Windows on x64. Boring.

The one thing I *don't* keep is crappy old x86 hardware. I mean really,
what's the point of some lame old Pentium2 or even a five year old
Celeron D? Weak, inefficient, underpowered and with absolutely no
redeeming historical or rarity value. No support for "cool" or exotic
operating systems either. I give them away where possible, or just check
the real rubbish and I'd count anything not 64bit and with less than
four cores pretty much junk at this point. With a bit of patience an
Intel quad Q6600 can be had from Ebay for about a tenner.

Regards

PS: if anyone cares, my absolute favourite machine *ever*, of all time,
is the Sun Ultra 1, which I originally learnt Linux and Solaris on.
170MHz! Still works like a charm.