Re: [LUG] VDSL Router

Hi,

I can recommend the tp-link TL-WDR3600. Its not too expensive, easily flashed to dd-wrt. Its dual band with ipv6 support.
I've had one for six weeks, not had any trouble.

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

On 9 January 2014 08:57:49 Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 08/01/14 17:33, Rob Beard wrote:
> Well the new Draytek Vigor 2860n supports both ADSL and VDSL but it's
> not cheap (about 240 quid IIRC).

Too much for me.

> If you're getting an engineer to install the FTTC for you it gives you
> loads more choice. You'd then be able to get a "cable" router which is a
> basic router with an Ethernet WAN port rather than an ADSL modem
> (although I did find recently some of the newer ADSL routers can be
> configured to turn one of their LAN ports to be turned into a WAN port
> (I've seen this on a Netgear DG2200n I believe, it's 40 quid in PC World
> right now).

I have a Netgear router at the moment. so I will check that one out.

> I guess it also depends if you want to upgrade your Wi-Fi, there's lots
> of routers which do the faster N wireless speeds (N600 and N900) or even
> AC standard wireless, although you might end up having to upgrade your
> existing wireless adaptors if they're a couple of years old.

Yes, a new router should use the n speeds. I am not bothered with the new ac type, too new.

> You'll probably find a N300 Wi-Fi cable router for about 30 quid, TP
> Link aren't bad (some of them even work with the open sauce DD-WRT
> firmware), on the more expensive scale you've got Netgear (not bad,
> maybe not as tweakable as some routers but consumer friendly) and then
> you've got ASUS which I also understand uses DD-WRT but I might be wrong
> on that one.
>
> Anyway hope this helps a bit.
>
> TL;DR get a cable router and work out what wireless speed and range you
> want, maybe check some online reviews.
>
> Rob

Thanks, will try searching for 'cable router' instead of 'VDSL router'.

> --
> Sent from my Sinclair ZX Spectrum

You are kidding, right?

Neil