Re: [LUG] VDSL Router

Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am looking to move across to FTTC soon, as it is now available. I have
discovered that I will need a new, VDSL router as the current one is not
suitable.

I have done some research, but it was not very helpful. Can anyone
suggest a router for me please?

Neil

Well the new Draytek Vigor 2860n supports both ADSL and VDSL but it's not cheap (about 240 quid IIRC).

If you're getting an engineer to install the FTTC for you it gives you loads more choice. You'd then be able to get a "cable" router which is a basic router with an Ethernet WAN port rather than an ADSL modem (although I did find recently some of the newer ADSL routers can be configured to turn one of their LAN ports to be turned into a WAN port (I've seen this on a Netgear DG2200n I believe, it's 40 quid in PC World right now).

I guess it also depends if you want to upgrade your Wi-Fi, there's lots of routers which do the faster N wireless speeds (N600 and N900) or even AC standard wireless, although you might end up having to upgrade your existing wireless adaptors if they're a couple of years old.

You'll probably find a N300 Wi-Fi cable router for about 30 quid, TP Link aren't bad (some of them even work with the open sauce DD-WRT firmware), on the more expensive scale you've got Netgear (not bad, maybe not as tweakable as some routers but consumer friendly) and then you've got ASUS which I also understand uses DD-WRT but I might be wrong on that one.

Anyway hope this helps a bit.

TL;DR get a cable router and work out what wireless speed and range you want, maybe check some online reviews.

Rob
--
Sent from my Sinclair ZX Spectrum