Re: [LUG] TTL serial to RS-232 or USB?

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014, Rob Beard wrote:

Looking into it a bit, it seems it has TTL level 3.3 serial. Now I'm far from an expert on this sort of stuff, but I seem to recall other devices with JTAG interfaces needing some sort of chip to convert from TTL to RS232. This made me wonder, would something like a Raspberry Pi would be able to talk to it?

If you're sure it's 3.3v then you can hook a Pi directly into it - tx/rx & Gnd.

You'll need to turn off kernel serial messages and the getty process on the Pi - edit /boot/cmdline.txt and /etc/inittab

Then you can run minicom on it -

  minicom -D /dev/ttyAMA0

and hope you connected Tx & Tx up the right way...

Might need to fiddle with the bauds too.

Gordon