Re: [LUG] flash - which distro

On Mon, 6 Jan 2014 23:22:14 +0000, bad apple <mr.meowski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 06/01/14 22:13, Rob Beard wrote:
>
>> Mint just works for me (Mint Debian Edition at the moment).  Generally
it
>> runs okay, can be a CPU hog at times if I have loads of tabs open (say
50
>> to 100 or so).  On occasion my machine starts to run at a crawl and I
>> just
>> reboot it :-)
>>
>> That's on a 5.5 year old Core 2 Duo 2Ghz laptop with 4GB Ram and
onboard
>> Intel graphics.
>
> Well, rebooting is guaranteed to fix it but seems like a bit of a blunt
> tool... to put it mildly. Wouldn't just killing or re-nicing the runaway
> process/processes be a better idea?
>
> Presuming you're talking about flash on Firefox, which is admittedly a
> known memory hog in certain scenarios, you could also update Firefox to
> a nightly build and set browser.tabs.remote to true in about:config.
> This is the experimental "Electrolysis" feature which is Mozilla's long
> overdue implementation of sandboxed tabs, which Chrome and IE have had
> for a while.
>
> The advantage is you can simply kill the memory-sucking tab(s) running
> Flash whilst leaving your other 50-100 (!!) tabs still open, without
> having to even restart Firefox, let alone the entire computer.
>
> Regards
>
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Electrolysis

Interesting, I'll take a look.  Generally I'm just too lazy to close tabs,
although I now have "Restore Previous Session" tabs with shed loads of tabs
in them too.  I think this year I'm going to look at getting a newer laptop
with a bit more memory, although I've been saying that for the past 2
years... never seem to get round to it, and this little laptop just keeps
on going :-)

Rob