Re: [LUG] New tablet computer

On 03/01/14 15:52, bad apple wrote:
On 03/01/14 08:55, Neil Winchurst wrote:

To save space I have cut all the advice that followed. Thanks for all
the help from everybody. And the news is, she has ordered an iPad Air
which should arrive today, Friday.

Now I am wondering what you mean by 'jailbreaking' it. Remember I have
never used an Apple computer of any sort so I have no idea what to look
out for.

Thanks to everyone who replied to this,

Neil

See, I told you! Left to their own devices (no pun intended), generally
speaking non-techie women, who naturally have a sharp eye for this kind
of thing, will choose the iPad.

You are spot on there. In the end I was told that it had been ordered.

I'll give you some links to start reading up but don't worry about never
having used a Mac - the iPhone and iPad (and iPod, AppleTV, etc) whilst
still being definitely Apple, are very different from the actual Mac
computers and IOS is still very different from OSX. Not having Mac
experience isn't a problem. I'd suggest obviously letting the wife play
with her new iPad as much as she likes when it arrives just to get used
to it whilst you familiarise yourself a little with the new ecosystem
and the various tools. When you are ready to proceed, back it up, and
then proceed to jailbreaking**.

Thanks for all the info. I will have a look at it all, although whether I will be allowed to actually do anything is another matter.

Another good source for reading up on jailbreaking, with a specific
Apple slant rather than Android, is this link***. Don't worry if it all
looks a bit daunting, I can either help you through it all or ultimately
you and the missus might quite well decide it all looks like too much
effort/hassle to bother with jailbreaking and modding and just use the
iPad as is, like 99% of the population. I know that my girlfriend would
absolutely not have bothered jailbreaking hers on her own, and it's only
because I insisted that it wouldn't be let on my network otherwise.

Enjoy the new gadget anyway - if your wife is anything like my missus
you probably won't get your hands on it for the next few days anyway :]

At the moment I am just about allowed to be in the same room!! As for actually touching it .... no chance.

Will let you know how it goes,

thanks

Neil