Re: [LUG] FOG backup services - notathome servers.

On Fri 27/12/13,16:45, bad apple wrote:
> On 27/12/13 07:35, Mesar Hameed wrote:
> > I am doing something like this with git-annex, across multiple
> > sites for personal data (approx 800 gb). It helps by not having a
> > single point of failure (central server),, and I can easely ensure
> > that each file is in at least x distinct locations.
> >
> > git-annex does support encryption, so all that is required from a
> > fellow data sharer is an open ssh port and git-annex on their
> > machine.
> >
> > People just starting with git-annex might want to try the
> > assistant, but it is still somewhat buggy. I would definitely
> > recommend trying out the command line interface for any serious
> > usage.
> >
> > In the last two or so years,, it really has simplified my file
> > management life including redundancy worries.
> >
> > For more info please see: http://git-annex.branchable.com/
>
> Whilst this does look quite interesting, how has it solved the
> notorious git issues with large files and binaries?

Think of it as an content/location management layer on top of rsync (
other transport layers available), the git repo only contains meta information
about the files, and their locations and symlinks to blobs.  These blobs
are stored in a known location, but not in git.
If not available in the current repo, it will try to get it from one
of the other configured remotes, or tell you to make the repo available.

http://git-annex.branchable.com/how_it_works/

> If you're shunting 800Gb of data about happily presumably this has
> either been ignored or solved somehow (I'm guessing the former).

solved, see above.
It is good for static content files, such as music, videos etc, but need
additional attension when trying to share changing content files such as vm
images.

> Surely you're not just moving 800Gb of text files between machines.

Binary in the real sence.

> Love to see what your commit logs look like - completely unreadable I
> imagine.

If you use the assistant probably,  but if you use the command line it is as
good or as bad as you make them.
The attached files contains some commits.
The git-annex branch which is used by the software to sync and to track
metadata is less readable, but there is no need to read those commits.

I recommend having a look at the walkthrough and setting up two test
repos.

thanks,
Mesar