Re: [LUG] FOG backup services - notathome servers.

On 27/12/13 07:35, Mesar Hameed wrote:
> Hello from a new list member,
>
> On Thu 26/12/13,15:50, Tom wrote:
>> With all the mentions of home servers I thought I'd mention
>> something - a while back the company I worked for hosted a
>> machine for another company, who did the same and it was in  a
>> DMZ so the other company could access it over the internet and
>> use it for remote backups, ditto us at their site. It should be
>> possible to do the same for each other - hosting a remotely
>> accessible VM where the host site knows nothing of the encryption
>> setup and in the event of a disaster you could get the host site
>> to meet you down the pub for data recovery purposes, as would the
>> initial disk be handed over- along with some form of recognition
>> of ownership of the said device so the host cant be forced to
>> hand over keys they don't know by big bully.
>
> I am doing something like this with git-annex, across multiple
> sites for personal data (approx 800 gb). It helps by not having a
> single point of failure (central server),, and I can easely ensure
> that each file is in at least x distinct locations.
>
> git-annex does support encryption, so all that is required from a
> fellow data sharer is an open ssh port and git-annex on their
> machine.
>
> People just starting with git-annex might want to try the
> assistant, but it is still somewhat buggy. I would definitely
> recommend trying out the command line interface for any serious
> usage.
>
> In the last two or so years,, it really has simplified my file
> management life including redundancy worries.
>
> For more info please see: http://git-annex.branchable.com/
>
> thanks, Mesar

Whilst this does look quite interesting, how has it solved the
notorious git issues with large files and binaries? If you're shunting
800Gb of data about happily presumably this has either been ignored or
solved somehow (I'm guessing the former). Surely you're not just
moving 800Gb of text files between machines. Love to see what your
commit logs look like - completely unreadable I imagine.

Regards