Re: [LUG] Desktop Linux

On 24 Dec 2013, at 22:50, Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Dec 2013, Simon Avery wrote:
>
>> For many the default choice for this would be an HP microserver. Cheap
>> (often under £100 with hdd + ram with cashback offers), reliable, well
>> built, linux compatible - lot to be said for them and I wouldn't argue
>> against it.
>
> +1 for the HP microserver - although I don't have one myself, I know many people
> using them - more for fileserving than desktop use though.

+1 for the HP.

I have a N36L with 4 hot swap disks and it does the file serving very well. I just
use Fedora as OS (a longer release cycle option might be better though).
Not  sure what FreeNAS allows but for me the plan was for it to be the only powered
on all the time component so handles printing, scanning, openvpn, ssh etc. as well
as file serving.
I run headless with no problem.

Cheers,

Pete