Re: [LUG] Protography with Linux

On 21 Dec 2013, at 10:05, Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 21/12/13 06:17, L Smith wrote:
>>
>> As a serious (and experienced) amateur photographer, I want to get
>> more serious but at the same time avoid getting sucked into the
>> photoshop swamp and remain loyal to Linux. I do though find Gimp to be
>> a pain, just wondering if there are any viable alternatives to The
>> Gimp and what any "serious photographers" here might be using?
>>
>> Lena
>>

> you can do resize from the command line and a lot lot more with graphics
> magic

It very much depends on what you want to do. I use a Canon full frame and shoot raw
most of the time.
The Canon raw format is very well supported in Linux but some of the stranger ones
(Fuji) are not. This isn’t just a Linux problem as you are at the mercy of Adobe et
al if you choose to buy the latest model camera.

I’m not sure I should admit this here but I use Corel AfterShot Pro (was Bibble) for
all my workflow. It’s not free (in any way) but a lot cheaper than Photoshop (or
Lightroom which is a closer match) and runs on Linux, Mac and Windows. I bought it
when it was Bibble and still have my doubts about Corel but haven’t found anything
better for my purposes. It is very much a digital darkroom and library management
tool with limited editing. If I do want to do serious reworking of the image I tend
to use Gimp but that still does not have 16 bit capacity yet (AFAIK).

This article seemed to have a good overview (well they liked AfterShot :-))
http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/best-linux-photo-editors-6-top-image-suites-on-test-1147722
A few others that they missed - RawTherapee and F-Spot. I look every now and then to
see what is out there in case Corel pull the plug but it is not simple to move from
one image management system to another so I am sticking where I am for the moment.

Reading your later post. If you are looking at tools for “point and shoot”
photographers to do some simple edits from a Linux system then have you thought
about some of the web based apps?

Cheers,

Pete