Re: [LUG] Protography with Linux

On Sat, 21 Dec 2013, L Smith wrote:

As a serious (and experienced) amateur photographer, I want to get more serious but at the same time avoid getting sucked into the photoshop swamp and remain loyal to Linux. I do though find Gimp to be a pain, just wondering if there are any viable alternatives to The Gimp and what any "serious photographers" here might be using?

I'm a bumbling enthusiast with a nice (well I think so) DSLR and I use GIMP.

However, I've only ever used GIMP... I did use a freebie version of photoshop for a very short while and didn't like it - presumably because I've always used GIMP.

But it delends on what you're trying to achieve - a simple rotation or small perspective change - easy in the GIMP, re-colouring, or colour correction - easy, but even thought I've been using it for years and years, I don't consider myself a gimp power user by any stretch. I have to read the manual when working out how to create a transparent background for example.

I find selective enhancements fiddly too, but I hear later versions are better - this:

  http://unicorn.drogon.net/pike.jpg

was a scanned negative which I did a bit of brightening up of the pike while trying to leave the backgound darker... I remember that being fiddy, but that was 10+ years ago. (The original scan was a 35MB tiff file which GIMP seemed OK with all those years back - it printed well at 10x8 too)

I think, like a lot of Linux tools, GIMP is just different to it's Win/Mac "equivalents", that's all, so a little bit of re-training is to be expected.

And lets not forget the power of the command-line - when I have a few 100 pictures to put online - I want to scale and reduce their quality to make the upload quick, then let people (friends, family) email me the numbers to give the the high resolution ones, if needed, etc. The "mogrify" command from imagemagic is the key here - although a word of warning: It mogrifys the images in-place!!! So take a copy first.

And in our nice dry summer, this is the bottom of my garden: http://unicorn.drogon.net/deanBurn4.jpg today it looks like a raging torrent )-:

Gordon