Re: [LUG] Protography with Linux

On 21/12/13 08:34, Simon Waters wrote:
Try shotwell and darktable

I use the gimp to extend colour range, cropping, and the odd bit of redeye removal.
I know folk who use it professionally, so presumably once mastered it is fine, but I
remember the WTF moment.
I have not ventured near both for a long time but as I remember photoshop was easy to use as a beginner but harder to use as an expert and gimp was the other way round. Its basically an interface choice - hiding most of the power makes it less scary for beginners but as you have hidden some functionality it is harder to get to when you need it. I frequently used to hear of people asking for certain functionality in photoshop that was there but a bugger (three clicks) to find. Gimp takes the beginner by surprise but everything you want is easy to get to - once you've learned a bit. Its really the computing paradigm in a nutshell - making something complicated easy just doesn’t work. Lana - if you want to do lots of things to your photos whichever way you approach it you will have to learn how to do lots of things. Gimp will be quicker once you've put the effort in to learn it and as you seem to have a few piccies out there you may find it worth the effort.
Tom te tom te tom