Re: [LUG] FTTC - and moving the master socket.

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013 19:22:43 +0000, Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Last week FTTC was finally enabled here at Holsworthy. I have done some
> research about it all and I find that the setup requires using the
> master telephone socket.
>
> Now, like many people I suspect, the master socket is just inside the
> front door, not a very sensible place for setting up a computer. At the
> moment I have my router etc set up in the smallest bedroom, using an
> extension socket which was installed when the house was built.

While I've not had it done myself, doing a Google search suggests it's
about Â130 + VAT to get a BT Openreach engineer to do it.

Doing a little bit more Googling, it seems that it can be plugged into an
extension socket too:

http://forums.broadband-finder.info/fibre/t/4271757-best-way-to-use-fttc-with-an-extension-line.html

If it was me I'd have the modem next to the master socket and just run
some CAT5 cable to a router where I wanted it.

Also this might be of interest...
http://revk.www.me.uk/2013/12/wires-only-fttc.html

It is an article about FTTC wires only installs from one of the guys at
Andrews & Arnold (a well respected ISP).  It seems that currently with an
engineer installed connection they are responsible for the connection to
the Ethernet port on the modem whereas if you go for the slightly cheaper
self-install option they can start to argue that the issue is with the
customer supplied kit and potentially leave you with a big bill if no fault
is found (I'd presume that on an engineer installed connection, if you
don't get a connection plugging something directly into the modem then
they're responsible to fix it).

Back to your original master socket problem, I'd suggest maybe speaking to
your ISP, or maybe other ISPs.  If it turns out your Youtube issue is your
ISP then if you go for FTTC then you're likely to be stuck with them for 12
months (IIRC that's the minimum term on an FTTC install).  There are
hundreds of ISPs out there that do FTTC or ASDL connections, I'd suggest if
you're looking at moving maybe check out the ThinkBroadband forums to get
an idea of customer feedback and possibly check out what different packages
they have (I'd recommend Zen, they've recently upgraded the allowances on
their packages, they start from Â16.25 a month depending on what allowance
you want, phone line rental is extra, you can stick with your existing
provider or switch to Zen, they don't do a hard sell).

Anyway, hope this helps.

Rob