Re: [LUG] In the Press

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013, Simon Waters wrote:
Well a typical ADSL connected PC could guess several hundred email addresses a second across many domains, we saw botnets of 10,000, so that ~4,000,000 guesses a second.

I've seen botnets of 100 times that size. But even then, its owner will want to do what gives the best delivery rate. Using a list of addresses, most of which are known to exist, is a better strategy than just trying things out.

Moreover, the most important reason so much spam is blocked, is that spam is sent in such large volumes. But concentrating the spam you send on one domain (or a few of them), as a spammer you only make this problem worse.

Martijn.