Re: [LUG] In the Press

On Thu, 19 Dec 2013, Simon Waters wrote:
But I don't remember ever seeing (or hearing about) a botnet performing an actual dictionary attack on a domain. It's just not worth it.

Think we must be misunderstanding each other. Dictionary harvesting attacks are usually done using long lists of names, it is a well established technique, even has its own Wikipedia article.

You're right of course. I meant: on the kind of domains that people who give unique email addresses to every organisation they deal with.

I can imagine it occasionally happening on larger domains with a lot of users, but even there I would think it doesn't make much sense from a spammer's point of view.

Martijn.