Re: [LUG] Raspberry Pi Cluster...

On 12/12/13 20:30, M Dinsmore wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> It would be useful to know how many are planning to bring a raspberry
> pi to the lug meet tomorrow to join the cluster.
>
> To add your pi to the cluster you'll need:
>
>   * Raspberry Pi Model B (either Rev1 or Rev2)
>   * Blank SD card or even better card with the cluster image
>     (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72675020/rpi-cluster.tar.bz2)
>     written to it.
>   * Power supply
>   * Network cable (not essential that everyone brings one as i will
>     bring 6)
>

> We will need several mains extension blocks, if you've got one easily
> accessable please bring it along. I've got 3 x 4 way that I plan to
> bring along.
>
> There's no need for screen and keyboards for ordinary nodes.  I plan
> to bring one for the master node but it may be useful if someone else
> could bring one for debugging hostname / IP Address issues.
>
> If memory server me right, we have two 16 port network switches at the
> Exwick centre, I'm assuming that will be enough.  Can anyone please
> confirm how many network switches we have at the centre?
>
> Just to whet your appetite ...
>
> I've run the program with one Pi (See Number of processes below) As
> you can see below the time taken was just under 30 minutes.

> * Calculate Pi using the Monte Carlo method
> * Exeter Linux User Group Raspberry Pi Beowulf Cluster
> *
> * Cluster Hosts           : /home/mpi/config/mpihosts
> * Cluster Processes file  : /home/mpi/config/mpiprocs
> * Number of Processes     : 1
> * Available Cluster hosts :
> *     mpi010 mpi011 mpi012 mpi013 mpi014 mpi015 mpi016 mpi017 mpi018
> mpi019
> *     mpi020 mpi021 mpi022 mpi023 mpi024 mpi025 mpi026 mpi027 mpi028
> mpi029
> *     mpi030 mpi031 mpi032 mpi033 mpi034 mpi035 mpi036 mpi037 mpi038
> mpi039
> *
> Process 1 of 1 is on mpi010 - Calculating pi using 10000000000 rectangles
> pi is approximately 3.1415926535894507, Error is 0.0000000000003424
> wall clock time = 1794.485791
>
> Running a program with the monte carlo algorithm (but without the
> cluster overhead) on my laptop takes 4 minutes 50 seconds. It will be
> interesting to see if we can get enough Pies in the cluster to beat it...
>
> See you tomorrow...
>
> Malcolm

I am coming up with Tom Brough,  so will bring my pi with me,  and the
bits needed to connect, I can bring some network cable too.

Paul

http://www.zleap.net

Exeter Lug meet : 13th December 2013 - http://exeter.lug.org.uk/
Torbay Raspberry Pi Jam 14th December 2013 - http://dcglug.drogon.net/torbay-pi-jam/

I am committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable groups and
expect any school or establishment I am involved with to share this commitment.