Re: [LUG] CryptoLocker and Samba

On 09/12/13 09:23, Rob Beard wrote:

> On 08/12/2013 23:24, bad apple wrote:
>
>> If you've got Windows boxes then you can set roaming profiles to come
>> from a Server 2012/2012r2 machine hosting them on the new ReFS
>> filesystem, which is Microsoft's new CoW filesystem. Correct permission
>> masks and snapshotting on the backend could natively guard against
>> exactly the problem you're worried about, but still no better than your
>> existing backups and at the cost of needing Server 2012/r2 (licences are
>> expensive, as are the CALs to access them) plus some non-trivial admin
>> configuration.
>>

> We currently don't use Windows server, all of our servers run Linux,
> although being a charity we do get a very big discount on Windows Server
> and Exchange, although there is the cost of getting a machine to run it
> hence why I'd like to do it on Samba.

Even discounted Windows servers can be quite expensive. Especially when
you factor in time. Never mind that I wouldn't have the first clue how
to even attempt certain things on Windows servers, nor do I know anyone
who does. Just about all of the Windows servers I run are virtualbox
guests on Linux hosts.