[LUG] Microsoft and open source, was: Re: OT: MS security whitewash

On Mon, 9 Dec 2013, Daniel Robinson wrote:
I personally think that Microsoft's attack on opensource is aimed directly at google code such as gmail and android.

I personally think that Gmail not being open source is a pretty strong argument against that. Unless they missfired of course.

Note that the discussion started with Phil linking to RMS commenting on Microsoft becoming more willing in giving governments access to its source code. Which Phil and RMS think isn't good enough.

I personally think that Microsoft moving towards open source is a trend that we will see more of in the next years, partly because of consumer/industry demands following Snowden et al and partly because the computer market is moving away from desktops and laptops, so it will have to follow rather then set trends.

Note that 'Microsoft' is nothing but a legal entity whose purpose is to make profit for its shareholders. If a changing market means that purpose can be achieved better by embracing open source they will do that.

Martijn.