Re: [LUG] Pipelight: Windows browser plugins via Wine in Linux

On 08/12/13 22:35, Rob Beard wrote:

> Um... Netflix has been available in the UK for about a year :-) (I use it
> all the time, it's even on the Virgin Media Tivo box, but sadly the
> selection of shows isn't as good as the US version).

Oh dear, shows how much attention I pay to this sort of stuff
normally... I think the limited show selection thing is important,
friends who are more interested in this sort of thing than me are still
talking about routinely piping their Netflix/Hulu content through US
based proxies, and I suppose that's probably why.

> I'll give it a shot.  Last time I looked at Netflix on Linux there was a
> workaround to get Silverlight to run but it wasn't very fast on my laptop
> (HD content was out of the question) but that was earlier this year and I
> know how quickly things change when those smart coders out there get on to
> it.

It's hard to go wrong to be honest, it took literally five minutes to
get working and backing out the changes if you don't like it will take
even less time.

> The holy grail for me would be be to incorporate it all with XBMC.  I
> guess it might happen eventually :-)

Your wish is my command:

http://serialexperiments.net/introducing-netflixbmc-an-xbmc-netflix-addon-for-linux/

That site gets a massive added points bonus from me: its name is an
obvious reference to the immortal anime Serial Experiments Lain*, an
absolute classic.

Regards

* http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=99