[LUG] Pipelight: Windows browser plugins via Wine in Linux

I've accidentally figured out how to watch DRM encumbered or other
generally Linux-unfriendly streaming websites natively under Linux - so
the C4 or C5 on-demand services, and anything that requires Silverlight
(really only Netflix, and that's only available to USA residents so
likely of little interest to anyone on this list).

The software and instructions are here:

http://fds-team.de/cms/pipelight-installation.html

It ships with a customised and patched version of Wine that can happily
co-exist with already installed versions, and will create the
.wine-pipelight Wine prefix automatically during setup. Repos and
instructions are available for most major distros.

I tested it on a current Ubuntu 13.10 VM, using Firefox 25, Nightly
(v28) and Chromium-dev (v33) - Chromium was by far the buggiest but both
Firefox versions seemed to work perfectly in testing the C4 and C5
websites, which is all I really wanted it for.

The trick to it is of course that this enables you to run the current
Windows Flash plugin (11.9) instead of the Linux version, which is stuck
at 11.2 and will likely never be upgraded to incorporate the required
DRM negotiation, etc.

So it can be done after all - however even the briefest of looks around
either the C4 or C5 sites reminded me just how awful they are with
enforced, unskippable ads, poor controls and a dearth of content.
iPlayer really does remain the gold standard of TV catchup it seems.

Regards