Re: [LUG] New Laptop

On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 17:38:29 +0000, Simon Avery <digdilem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi Simon
>>
>> On 2 December 2013 06:41, Simon Avery <digdilem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > These guys are the cheapest I've found (and good service).
>> >
>> > Note they don't come with an OS or a power adapter - the latter is an
>> extra
>> > Â5 or Â10 from ebay.
>>
>> Did you send a link with that?
>>

> Sorry, I am a buffoon.  I had it in the paste buffer but obviously
missed
> the important step of ctrl+v...
>
> http://www.scctrade.co.uk/
>
> Simon

I'd agree with Simon (no, not about the buffoon bit, about SCC Trade)...
we've had a few machines from them (couple of laptops and a dozen desktops)
and they're great machines.  Cosmetically they might have the odd scratch
on them (some of the HP desktops did anyway) but the machines work great as
standard office machines.  They have a range of Lenovo and HP notebooks on
there at the moment, anything from an older Lenovo ThinkPad X61 to the
newer T410 with Core i5 CPUs or some nice looking HP EliteBooks.  The
machines generally have 2GB of RAM (although some of the cheaper ones only
have 1GB) and in one case we ordered a machine with 3GB Ram and it came
with 4GB.

For around Â100 you could get a reasonable ish Core 2 Duo machine with
around 2 to 4GB Ram and around a 160GB hard drive.  Future upgrades could
include more memory and an SSD (120GB ones are around the Â70 mark).

I think eventually when my laptop dies I'll probably go to these guys for
a second user laptop.  I figure that these machines are probably built to
last more than your cheapo consumer grade laptops.

Rob