Re: [LUG] New Laptop

On 01/12/13 19:28, Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi
>
> I need a new laptop. Any recommends. Main needs are portability and
> large hd. Happy to go second hand. I would prefer a 13' screen or
> less. I am a Mac man generally but can no longer pay Apple prices.
>
> Looking to put Linux Mint on it but again would go with recommends on distro.
>
> Thanks for the help.

Second hand/refurbed MacBook? A friend in London just bought a second
hand 2010 model MacBook from someone at his university for £200.

If you save enough money under your budget by not getting a new model,
max the RAM, add an SSD and pop out the optical drive and replace it
with a HDD caddy instead: that way you get SSD performance for your OS
and a big cheap HDD for bulk storage at the cost of a DVD drive (but who
cares about that in 2013?).

Obviously, this may well be a lot too much effort and you may prefer a
brand new regular laptop, for the warranty if nothing else.

You really need to let us know your approximate budget though, it's
basically impossible to give any considered recommendations without
knowing that.

Either way, you could do worse than regularly check out this page for
super bargains: http://www.dell.co.uk/outlet/

Free postage until Dec 14th as well.

Regards