Re: [LUG] Google removes Cyanogenmod Installer from their App Store

On 29/11/2013 09:41, Julian Hall wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/oaa4ek2

'Web giant claims app encourages users to void their warranty.

Google has kicked the open source CyanogenMod Installer out of its Play Store after claiming the app was in violation of its developer terms.'

Missing the obvious point, I think, that those able to use Cyanogenmod also have the technical ability to find it elsewhere and install it manually from an APK, thus making the whole exercise pointless.

The even more benign SL4A is not available in the Play store either. I think this is fine. Stuff that requires geeky technical knowhow to get working is fine downloaded outside the store. The difference between Android and iOS, of course, is that we _can_ get stuff other than from the Play store, it is just necessary to flip an option in the settings.

The play store really should only be for apps that you just download and run.

John