Re: [LUG] Fwd: FTTC - follow up

On 19/11/2013 14:55, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Well, even more information! I don't mind using the filters. Our phone
sockets are all pretty well hidden away so they are not seen. From what
you say I either have to work out how to go fully to FTTC or just not
bother.

Since I get pretty good speeds already, and thinking about how I use the
computer, I am not sure that I would get much advantage from the extra
speeds. And it would be quite expensive, eg I would have to replace my
router and somehow get a new cat-5 cable from the entrance up to the
bedroom. Plus the cost of the BT engineer.

Staying put is for the best I think. I have found all this useful and
interesting though. I hope it has been of some help to others too,

Neil

I wouldn't be surprised that when there is a regular self install option for FTTC (or at least, not requiring a BT engineer visit to your premises) that combined VDSL modem/routers would be more readily available which would resolve the issue of having two boxes. IIRC Draytek do such a router. Then you'd maybe be able to get away with just bunging a wireless adaptor on your PC and put the router by the phone socket (who knows, maybe the router could go in any phone socket... I seem to remember the engineer installs of ADSL were similar to FTTC before the wires only installs).

Or... maybe you might be able to get FTTP on demand and get the BT engineer to put the fibre connection in a new location.

Rob