Re: [LUG] Swap not swap

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013, Philip Hudson wrote:

On 18 November 2013 13:16, Simon Waters <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is the performance issue really memory limited, or did this just bring the
odd swap usage to your attention?

The latter. Not sure about the former; seems unlikely, since we're talking
about usage patterns and data that have not changed. Most likely a recent
software update from testing... but what? I've killed every daemon I know
it's safe to on the box.

You can make it swap more by

  vm.swappiness=90

in sysctl.conf.

Or

  # sysctl vm.swappiness=90

at the command-line

This doesn't actually make it swap more, but it tells the kernel to swap more if it's running short of RAM. This will put unused daemons, etc. into swap, freeing memory. (or just free the memory as executables are demand paged anyway)

A lot of Pi people seem to like setting that to 1 to try to minimise swap usage (and hence SD card wear - I set it higher to deliberately free up more RAM and my Pi's running better - or at least it seems that way to me.

Gordon