Re: [LUG] Upscreening me laptop

On 18/11/13 14:08, Simon Waters wrote:
On 18 Nov 2013, at 12:29, Tom <madtom1999@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Just been doing some coding on my laptop and was wondering about getting a new one
with a humungous screen as the IDE I'm using has grown to fill more than the space
available and then I thought, as I only ever use it on my lap why not just get a
'stick on' bigger screen as if it was on a desktop! Just wondering if anyone's been
down this road as I have been unable to search successfully for a 'solution'?
Laptop hardware can often drive higher resolution external screens but it is all
dependent on the graphics card.

Configuring it these says is usually fairly easy once you have card and driver
sorted.

You can also in X make the screen larger than the display and scroll around, haven't
tried it recently but you don't want to go there.

The graphics chipset is a lot more capable than the screen on the laptop - it will do 1080 whereas the screen is only 760high - that 320 pixels would be well useful - as would some better sound. I can get a pretty good hdmi monitor for £120 or so but they all seem to want to sit on a desktop - I was hoping there was one I could mount on a tv type swinging arm on a cushioned board so I can pop the laptop open and put the screen under the monitor out of the way and get 24" laptop with a screen thats a little further away too!
Hammer and nails coming out I guess
Tom te tom te tom